Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Happiness

I have been struggling for some reason with depression. I don't think it is deep, but frustrating nonetheless. The worst thing about it is I always wonder "what will I do when something truly bad happens?" Seriously, I have it great. Sure, life has its challenges, but I have a business I built myself, we are in a very good position, have a roof over our head, are content to live simply and are in good health.

My mom sent me this link: http://slate.com/blogs/blogs/happinessproject/archive/2009/01/27/recipe-for-happiness-wrestling-with-toddlers-and-reading-thich-nhat-hanh.aspx?GT1=38001 - it was a very good read, and said 2 interesting things.

1) Running helps chase the blues away. I found this out myself first hand a few days ago. Mega down, then ran 6 miles, and came back feeling awesome!

2) Depression is often caused by thinking about the past or future. What an interesting concept - just think about now ... live in the present!

I liked that, bookmarked the link and hope to remember what it said next time the blues get to me.

Tonight, my wife decided to mention that it was time for me to stop cutting weight and start bulking. I said I wanted to get down to 165, which means I have about 10 more lbs to go. She said I was getting too skinny and "boney". Apparently, I am not as comfortable as my former pudgy self was. We will see! I never thought I would have heard her say this before in my life! Time to get on the horn with my friend tomorrow to see if we can start lifting weights together, I suppose!

Today was not a day for sadness anyway though. I sold $100 worth of baseball cards from the $400 collection I bought with jerseys in it, someone is supposed to buy one of the jerseys for $125 and another is supposed to buy the rest of the sets for $200. That would put me up $25 on the collection and have 5 jerseys for free basically.

Also had someone say that I can consider my collection I bought for $15 the other day sold at $75, though I offered some more for $125 total. We shall see! The person who is coming over tomorrow (supposedly - they ARE from craig's list!) for the $200 sets, may take out a bunch of my boxes I bought today. Which brings me to my next deal ...

I bought the 161 boxes of cards today! It was a long drive, but I think it was worth it. I hope to sell 100 of them for $400 and open the other 61 myself (I paid $350 total for everything). I really struggled about whether i should just re-sell it all, or open the others. I decided to open (for now at least) because I am in this for a HOBBY, and not a business. Re-selling the ones I wanted before I open them would not allow for this to be as fun for me.

Now, the biggie ...

This deal has been in the works for a while now. After selling all year, I basically had a nice collection left over to myself for basically free. I posted it up for $3,000, and my dealer friend saw it. We were able to strike a deal. 99% of my collection for 2.3 million of his sports cards and $600 cash! It took a while for me to figure if I wanted to do this or not, but after thinking it over, I was all for it! He just emailed me saying he was just tickled with how good the collection he got off me was. I am super pleased too. I just went through 2 boxes and was very happy with what was in them so far.

I know, this is probably super boring for folks who aren't into cards. I promise, I won't be like this always. I am just on cloud 9 right now!

1 comment:

  1. Get on the horn! You're such an old soul...even though you don't like old movies. Interesting....

    And I agree with Holly! TIME TO BULK!!!

    ReplyDelete